I love challenges. Whenever I'm feeling a little mojo-less, I turn to a challenge. Particularly because I don't scrap chronologically and I'm pretty much "caught up," sometimes I need a spark to get me going!
So, the first sport we are tackling is Cycling. We thought we would go easy on you for the first week
Here are the rules:
Create a layout (8x8 or bigger) using a circular/wheel theme.
You must include:
1. Circles as embellishments on your page
2. Circle / dot patterned paper
That's it! Not too hard for the first one right??
I used the Parfums d'ete' collection from Sultane for the challenge.
Here is a close up of the layered circles, which are super cool in real life:
I'm also participating in "Collage Play by CrowAbout." Each week the group leader, Nancy, posts a collection of collage elements. We need to incorporate them in some way into an art journal page. Here is my page for the week:
Most of the people playing along with the challenge are collage artists, not scrapbookers. So, my stuff is a little more literal than theirs. I'm hoping to get further and further away from the literal as I go on with the challenge, but I've never been much of an abstract thinker. It's hard for me. I like text and story way too much!
Here are some other challenges that I like:
- Scrap Mojo: Leaning towards the artsy fartsy, these girls have a funny, hip vibe. Their challenges usually involve a bunch of moving parts (so to speak) and they often feature some very hip guest hosts.
- How Much Is Too Much: Started by a bunch of ladies who felt that they had an abundance of scrapbook supplies (don't we all?), this challenge features prompts asking you to use up a lot of stuff on your pages!
- Method Playground: This one was started by a bunch of HOF runner-ups. Each week they feature a technique and challenge you to use it.
- Mixed Media Monday: There's a theme every Monday. Participants create pages, quilts, objects, paintings - lots of different mixed media eye candy - based on the theme. This week is Recycle/Repurpose.
- One Little Word: Every other Wednesday, the crazy talented design team challenges you to use a certain word as a jumping off point for a layout. On the in-between weeks, they offer up a technique tutorial.
- Scrapping the Music: The very international design team at this site chooses a song every week and ask you to put the lyrics on your page. I have found that even when the music isn't my style, the lyrics often get me moving.
- Pencil Lines: Celebrity hosts, lots of different styles, each week there's a brand new sketch to inspire you. They're up to sketch #99 this week!
- The Art is Found: Artsy fartsy and verging on something that isn't quite scrapbooking (collage, maybe?), this is a relatively new challenge blog (started in March). It's all about making art based on the little things around you. Art is everywhere.
- The Creative Type: Brand new challenge site (they're still on challenge #1) focused on typography.
- The Story Matters: As you might guess from the name, the focus here is on telling your story. This site is a new discovery for me. I haven't participated yet, but I hope to very soon!
- The Digi Dares: Another new site for me. I found it by following a link on someone else's blog. I'll bet you can guess from the name - it's all challenges focusing on digi artists. But, they're not necessarily digi-specific. The current challenge is to use the word "create" on a page.
- The original: The Effer Dares: I may be wrong, but I believe that the effer girls were the first ones to create a scrapbooking challenge blog. Always good inspiration, but between you and me, I find their website hard to navigate. It gets all jumbled for me. But, it's worth hunting around and playing along!
Thanks for stopping by!