I am a messy creator. I get paint, glue, ink, etc. all over everything, including the chest area of every single shirt I own.
Because I'm a larger gal, regular aprons don't do a great job covering up that bust area. Very frustrating. So several years ago, I made myself an apron that addressed that problem. It has been my constant companion and suffered through plenty of messes. It's made from plain cotton fabric, however. Yesterday, I decided that I wanted to upgrade to something a little sturdier -- better at resisting wet messes.
It's made from printed canvas. You can see that I put in pockets - aprons really should always have pockets, don't you think? And I gathered the neckline and put in some little darts to help the bust area really fit, without restricting any arm motion.
I made the ties long enough to tie in the front so that I wouldn't have to lean against a knot when I'm sitting in my studio at home. And you can see how the apron really covers, wrapping all the way around me. I have brushed against too many paint covered tables and projects to forget to wrap it all the way around! At the neckline I added some rolled fabric roses.
My original intention was to stitch them on, but they wouldn't fit under my sewing machine foot and I was too lazy to stitch them on by hand...so I used Fabri-Tac! It really holds and can go through the wash, so I feel like it was a great solution! I like having that little decorative touch that makes it not quite so utilitarian and a little bit feminine.
I look forward to all the colors and textures that will get added as I work in this apron and splash a little bit of each piece of art all over myself!
Thanks for stopping by!