Oy. This one was a doozy. It went through about twelve billion different versions. I honestly think it might count as canvases twenty-five through thirty.
As you know, I'm trying to push myself to go in a more abstract, less face based, direction.
No joke. Having a lot of trouble. But anything worth pursuing is going to involve work, so I'm up for the challenge!
I painted this:
I hung it up in my house and stared at it for a week or two.
I took it down and turned it into this:
I felt like it needed something. I auditioned some ideas:
When I found one I liked, I hung it up to think on for a while:
Then I went out of town and all the little bits of paper I had taped on fell off. So I grabbed the canvas and decided to just get to work.
I love the way it turned out!
I think that this mixed media collage is better because of all the drafts. In the photo above you can see so many of the previous layers of collage and paint peeking through. That's awesome!
All of the collage elements that I used were painted by me or stamped using hand carved stamps. This really helps the whole composition feel totally authentically me!
Even that large die cut flower is a doodle that I drew and then scanned and cut with my ScanNCut. Totally me!
I used my new splatter brush for some different looking splatter and I love it! It gives the long streaks instead of just the little dots. It was super messy (I got paint on my face and in my hair) but worth the mess!
For scale, I took a photo of the painting with a bicycle (yes, the bike is upside down):
It's about 2 feet by 2 feet.
And now I've hung it up in my apartment...
...where it seems to be fitting in just fine. :)
Thanks for stopping by!