If you're new to Art Journal Every Day, there is a short introduction here. All of the previous posts can be found archived here. There is a flickr group for sharing right here. Remember, it's just ten minutes of nourishing your creative self every day! No need to finish anything or even like it. If you've done some art journaling this week and you've blogged about it, or put it on flickr, please leave a link in the linky list at the end of this post. Thanks!
I get a lot of question about what supplies are needed when getting started with art journaling. The great news is that nothing is truly "needed." It's really up to you as to what you want to use. That said, today I thought I'd share what I'd bundle up and give to a beginning art journaler!
- Journal: There are lots and lots of different kinds of blank journals on the market. This one happens to be my all time favorite. The paper in it is fabulous. I love the binding -- truly lies flat and takes a beating. And there's a very convenient plastic pocket inside the back cover for stashing ephemera or notes.
- Black Pen: There are so many different great black pens on the market. The Scarlet Lime pen happens to be my current fave. I use it every single day. It's super dark and writes over paint without any issue.
- Watercolor Set: You need some kind of colorants to start with and this set of watercolor paints is relatively inexpensive, has a great color range, and comes with a mixing palette and a water brush! So easy to grab and go!
- Black Ink Pad: The Archival ink pads are my fave. They're waterproof and permanent and dry relatively quickly. They also easily print on top of acrylic paint and unlike StazOn, they stay on your stamp and don't contaminate later prints.
- Alphabet & Number Stamps: Other than stamps I've carved myself, this happens to be my most used stamp set in the world. I love the size and the basic typewriter font! Plus you get the numbers too! So many alphabet sets don't include them, which makes me crazy!
That's it! Short and simple. I think it's good to start with a few supplies and explore what you like before investing in a ton of new stuff.
Now here's my question for you: What five additional supplies would you add to this grouping of basics to complete your own personal art journaling kit?
I'd love to feature some of the answers during next weeks' Art Journal Every Day post! If you're interested in being featured, e-mail me (balzerdesigns AT gmail DOT com) with a photo & description of your five additional supplies, a photo of a favorite art journal page, and your full name. If you have a blog or flickr stream, feel free to include that too! I hope you'll play along!
Here is this week's linky list:
Thanks for stopping by!
P.S. The Balzer Designs May Newsletter went out yesterday. Did you get yours?