So many people have asked me about the painted sleeves that are peeking out in my recent videos. I kept posting a link to the original version of this post, but I figured perhaps a repost with a clearer title (easier to search for) was a good idea. I hope you enjoy it and will give the project a try yourself!
I have a studio rule for myself: no sleeves. Any sleeves will absolutely 100% get covered in paint. However, I also live in New England and am cold all the time. What's a girl to do?
Buy a lab coat, of course!
When I got the coat, I realized there were two problems:
- It had an open neck -- as lab coats always do -- and was therefore not very protective in the chest spatter area.
- It was so so so so so so so very white.
I thought about returning the lab coat and getting a chef's coat instead. But I figured a little bit of velcro could solve the problem. I simply flipped the lapels up and glued on a few pieces of velcro to keep them shut. As for problem number 2...I figured out a way to solve that too!
Here are some of the details:
I used fabric paint for the project so that it would (a) be washable and (b) the fabric would remain soft and flexible. It was a super fun project to do. It took some time (several days) because I had to let the various layers dry. You can see some of the earlier stages of the coat on instagram here and here and here and here.
Please note: Most of the paint that I used was Deco Art SoSoft fabric paint but I was too lazy to link to each individual color. Instead I linked to the three types of SoSoft fabric paint that I used: regular, glitter, and pearl.
I'm delighted to have something that allows me to wear sleeves in the studio and makes me feel happy and colorful! Can't wait to see all the accidental color and pattern that will inevitably be added over time!
Thanks for stopping by!