I am sixteen days into this 100 Day Project of creating a face every single day. Here are my thoughts at the moment:
- I never said that doing a video was part of the project, but so far it has been. Can I keep it up?
- I never dictated that I would work in a particular size, but so far -- except for one piece -- they've all been 8.5x11. Perhaps because that's what has been handy?
- I like that I never seem to run out of ideas. Faces can be constructed out of so many things in so many ways.
- The limit of 15 minutes has been so freeing. No time to worry. No time to dawdle and ponder. Just do it!
- I find some of the faces cringe-worthy. Having to share them (that's part of the project) has been difficult. But I am hopeful that by doing it over and over again, I'll be more comfortable with showing work that I don't like. In fact...
- I've been surprised by how many people have liked things I hated and not responded to things I loved. But...
- I'm taking that as further evidence that I need to keep true to myself. This is something I talk a lot about on the Adventures in Arting Podcast. It's tempting to go towards those things that the crowd likes, but I feel certain that that is the wrong decision for me. I want to be a working artist for many many years. In order to do that, I need to be able to trust myself, trust my instincts, know what I like (and what I don't), grow, evolve, change, and be rooted in a strong point-of-view. This project must be an exercise in self-improvement and not a performance for a crowd.
- That said, it's hard to do. The struggle is real. But I will persist.
- I find that mornings are the best time for me to work on this project. Out of bed and into the studio. No excuses. That way it's done and out of the way.
- Interestingly, I haven't cracked my art journal open since I started this project.... I've decided not to worry about that. Life only has room for so many daily creative projects. The pendulum will swing back at some point. I don't need to force it.
And now, faces 10-16:
Do you have a favorite? I do. Or maybe I'm torn between two of them. Or maybe three? It's hard to choose!
If you'd like to see the videos of the faces being made, you can see them on instagram or I've thrown most of them into this week's vlog:
Thanks for stopping by!