February 19, 2009
Last week, I was in charge of posting the "Question of the Day" on the Label Tulip board. One of the questions I asked was as follows:
Lots of really interesting responses! And I wanted to share my own personal list here. Now, keep in mind that I am a collector of colorants, so I am only listing the stuff I regularly (like on a weekly basis) use.
- Making Memories: It's easy to find, comes in lots of colors and the drying time on paper is pretty darn quick.
- Winsor&Newton: I have a set of tube watercolors by Winsor&Newton that I adore! Though, I have been using the Koi watercolors from Sakura a lot recently.
- Claudine Hellmuth Studio: I was fairly resistant to the Claudine paints at first. I'll admit it. I love the Making Memories paints, so I saw no point in switching over. But, I love that they come in jars (just dip your brush, no need for a palette) and the quality really is excellent. The consistency is also really nice - somewhere between fluid acrylics and traditional acrylics.
- Golden: Golden is my "go to" for gesso these days, though I will admit that my first jar of gesso was Pro Art (which is much thicker than the Golden gesso) and sometimes I miss it.
- Ranger Distress Inks: It will be no surprise to anyone to learn that I love Ranger's line of distress inks. They sit on my desk and I use them almost every single time I sit down to scrapbook. They're dye-based, reactive with water, and have an open drying time so you can emboss with them!
- Ink It Up!: Don't stone me! These $1 ink pads (yes, yes, probably not archival and you get what you pay for) are awesome for distressing and getting messy and directly rubbing on icky surfaces. At $1, they're easy to abuse!
- StazOn by Tsukineko: Love the jet black. Use it for all my non-porous needs. I know that some people use it on paper, but I don't like to.
OTHER (DYE, SPRAY INK, etc.)
This is the hardest category for me, because I have some stuff that I use "sometimes." In an effort to be thorough, here is most of it....
- GlimmerMist by Tattered Angels: I love the soft colors and the lovely shine.
- Walnut Ink TintZ: Easy applicator bottles and a huge range of colors make it extremely easy to use.
- Adirondack Color Wash: Love the intense colors and the fact that they're permanent on fabric!
- Ranger Distress Ink Re-inkers mixed with Perfect Pearls: I love that I can custom make my own colors of glimmery spray! I just wish I kept better track of what I had mixed together so that I could reproduce what I like!
- Ranger Alcohol Inks: I love being able to cover non-porous surfaces that normally reject paint and other collorants. Great range of colors and they last forever! Excellent value.
How about you? Is there a product you love that I missed? Please let me know, I'm always looking for another way to get inky fingers!