I'm super excited to announce a new two-day in-person class!
Watertown, MA (exact location will be e-mailed to participants)
If you're coming from out-of-town:
Watertown is about 20 minutes from both Boston Logan Airport and Boston South Station (Amtrak). There are several nearby hotels, including a brand new Residence Inn by Marriott which is an 8-minute drive (free parking at the hotel) or 12-minute bus ride (#70 bus) from the class location. I can provide other hotel options upon request. Air B&B also has several very inexpensive options in Watertown.
The Amazing Tape (Ribbon) Bound Junque Journal
Take all of that leftover paper junque -- tags, half finished projects, samples, pretty packaging, etc. -- and put it too good use. We will turn all that nothing into something pretty spectacular: a hand bound art journal!
On Day 1 of the workshop the focus will be on putting together the journal pages. We will make our own decorative tape (more than one student has gotten obsessed with this fun technique) and I will share a multitude of fantastic techniques for pulling together your junque to make magic pages.
On Day 2 we will stitch together your fabulous one-of-a-kind art journal. No bookbinding experience is necessary! This is an easy technique that anybody can do (and will want to do over and over again).
After stitching together our journals, we'll spend the rest of the day playing and experimenting in them. I will share all of my favorite techniques for turning miscellaneous junque into a basis for amazing art!
- Acrylic Paint (8-12 colors, including black & white)
- Lots & Lots of Paper (ex. watercolor paper, scrapbook paper, book pages, cardstock, ephemera, painted papers, junk mail, envelopes, old calendar, etc.)
- Paintbrushes (1 very small round, 1 small round, 1 medium round, 1 large flat, and any other brushes you like)
- Palette Paper
- Container for Water
- Rag/Paper Towel
- Ballpoint Pen
- 5-6 manila folders
- A full roll of Masking Tape (2” or wider – not all masking tapes are created equal & I recommend the Pro brand)
- Teflon Craft Sheet (very important to have this non-stick surface)
- 3 yards of Waxed Linen Thread & Tapestry Needle with an eye large enough for the thread
- Awl or Paper Piercer
- Small Binder Clips (2)
- 2 painted/decorated Canvas Boards (9x12 recommended) -- registered students will receive detailed information about these, including the option to purchase them pre-made by me.
- Heavy Gel Medium
- Liquitex Matte Medium
- Sturdy Ribbon (one yard – will be visible on your covers)
- Old credit card or hotel room key
- Permanent Black Marker
- Permanent Black Pen
- Deli Paper -- painted or blank (this may be purchased from the instructor)
- Optional: Apron, Heat Gun & extension cord or power strip, Gesso (white and black), Book Binding Tape, Washi Tape, Bone Folder, baby wipes, Favorite Stamps & Ink, Favorite Stencils & Cosmetic Wedge Sponges, Paint Markers -- I like Permapaques, white water-based Sharpie
Cost: The cost for two days of instruction is $300. You can sign up below:
I hope you'll join me for all the fun! Thanks for stopping by!