November 21, 2018
I took a class this past weekend. The instructor had us do an exercise that focused on speed. When we were done she said, "Even if you don't like it, what have you lost? 5 minutes?!" The woman in front of me turned to her friend and said, "And wasted your fabric."
That comment hit me like a silver bullet.
I am an unabashed hoarder. I get how hard it is to let go of supplies you paid lots of money for...
...or love dearly...
...or are one-of-a-kind...
...or you don't feel you're "good enough" to use yet.
But what good are they doing you on a shelf? In a drawer? Safely tucked away?
In fact, they may be doing you a disservice. Supplies may be filling your art space, expanding beyond your organizational system, or even overwhelming you to the point of stopping you from creating.
It's time to use what you've got and winnow down that stash!
Remember, the only time that paint is wasted is when it's in the tube. The only time that fabric is wasted is when it's shoved in a drawer. I would argue that most of us are wasting our expensive supplies every single day by not using them. Not to be macabre, but my quilt guild has recently accepted several donations of supplies from members who have passed away. I don't want to die with a room full of unused supplies.
I put together a list of five things you can do to use your supplies.
Five Solutions for Using Your Supplies:
- Make art. Don't wait for the right time. Grab ten minutes and play!
- Create art kits. Include the items you've been hoarding. Force yourself to use the art kits to create.
- Donate or sell what you're not going to use. There's no use in hanging on to things you rarely use. Pass them on to someone who will use them right away!
- Develop a 1-in/2-out rule. For every one new art item you bring into your home, two items have to be disposed of -- either because they're used up or because you're sending them off to a happy new home. You'll be amazed at how willing you are to use things up when you know it means new things can come into your home!
- Change your mindset. This is probably the most difficult thing to do. But you can do it. Start looking at shelves packed with unused supplies as a waste. Focus on how wasteful it is to not use the things you own.
If you'd like, you can print out this little reminder I made for you and post it in your art space:
Click this link for the printable file.
I'd love to know your thoughts on wasting supplies! Thanks for stopping by!