He gave me two shirts -- a heavy-weight long-sleeve t-shirt with a stain and a plain white t-shirt. Not one to miss out on the action, my Mom gave me an old t-shirt with an image of a samurai on it. And I threw in a t-shirt I had already dyed, but not yet "fixed."
I used RIT dye -- one quarter denim blue and three quarters navy blue -- to dye my shirts. I followed the instructions on the dye bottles for adding water, salt, and dish liquid. And I did follow-up the dyeing process with RIT fixative and a good long wash in the washing machine. As a side note, I threw a Color Catcher into the washing machine, just to make sure I didn't end up with a blue washing machine and I was glad I did because it came out practically purple!
And now, for the shirts! The long-sleeve shirt with the stain:
I love how all of these shirts turned out. I'd like to try a bunch of other shibori techniques and patterns next time around! That's one of the many things to love about shibori -- there are so many possibilities!
Thanks for stopping by!