Well, after weeks of planning, I changed the subject of my 100 day project at the last minute! As the title suggests, I'm doing #100daysofgelatinprinting. The night before the project began I was lying in bed and my brain wouldn't shut off. I just kept thinking that I had picked the wrong topic for this project. And so I pivoted.
Here are the first seven days (These images are embedded from instagram. If you can't see them, click HERE.):
- Thus far I am feeling great. I have often said that I could make gelatin prints all day long and so I think 100 days is doable.
- The pressure to create "finished art" every day is strong. It may be internal, but it's lurking in my head every time I pull out my gelatin plates.
- I've been working with the 8x10 plate for the most part, but I might work a bit smaller on days when I have less time. This multi-layered prints take quite some time to create.
- In that vein, I might try making some less complicated prints -- like day 5. You know, the kind of prints that are just 1-2 pulls.
- I do feel that I have tried something new with every single print. I don't know if I can keep the new-ness up for 100 days, but so far:
- day 1 - I used masking tape on the plate.
- day 2 - Used the same stencil in color blocks.
- day 3 - Left the white paper background uncolored.
- day 4 - Used paint markers as a base.
- day 5 - Did a 2-step/1-pull print.
- day 6 - Used 6 different gelatin plates to create 1 print.
- day 7 - Masked the edges of my print.
- I'm hoping to be a super duper master expert purposeful gelatin printmaker at the end of this journey. Here's hoping practice will get me there!
I hope your 100 day project is going well. Thanks for stopping by!