#CarveDecember 2020 Prompt List
November 09, 2020
It's time to order your rubber! #CarveDecember is coming!
#CarveDecember is my annual challenge to carve, print, and post a stamp every single day in December.
Yes, December is insanely busy. But perhaps it's a bit less busy this year? No holiday parties. No relatives to visit. And, I will remind you that I managed to do all 31 days last year, just days after having a baby. Not because I'm a super woman, but because I made the project manageable for myself.
How do you make the project manageable for yourself?
I'm so glad that you asked!
- Gather your supplies and store them in a "kit." This makes it easy to sit down and carve every day.
- Set a time limit for yourself. How much time can you actually commit to this project each day. 20-30 minutes is enough time to make super cool stamps if you follow step #3....
- Set a size limit for yourself. If you keep your stamps small, you can get them done super quick! Last year, most of my stamps were under an inch.
- Pick a time of day to carve. You know how the day just gets away from you sometimes? Pick a time of day that you will carve every day: morning, lunchtime, before bed, whatever. Just choose a time that makes it part of your daily routine.
- Design or "coming up with an idea" is what takes up the most time. So, I'm putting out this prompt list super early so that you can prepare all of your designs -- either mentally or in a sketchbook -- ahead of time and just have carving to do on the actual day.
You do NOT have to follow these prompts. They're just there in case you need a spark of inspiration.
So, here are the "official" guidelines of #CarveDecember:
WHAT: Every day in December we carve a stamp and post it online.
WHO: Everyone is welcome to join. New stamp carvers will develop their skills quickly and experienced stamp carvers will sharpen those skills. Everyone will connect with new friends!
HOW: Post a photo of the stamp you've carved to your instagram account. Use the hashtag #CarveDecember so that everyone in the group can find what you've done. In my experience, the #CarveDecember crew is warm and generous.
Yes, you can do this project even if you've never carved a stamp before in your life.
Yes, you can do this project for just a few days. 31 is a goal, but it's not required.
Yes, you can do this project without signing up for the #CarveDecemberClass.
Yes, you can do this project even if you're busy and have limited time.
Yes, you can do this project without an instagram account. Sharing on instagram is fun, but it's not required.
If you want some help with stamp carving, these are resources I offer:
- Book: Carve Stamp Play
- Online Class: Stamp Carving 101
- Online Class: Stamp Carving: Designing Patterns
- Online Class: #CarveDecemberClass
- My favorite stamp carving supplies are HERE
You can also visit YouTube for tons of FREE video tutorials on stamp carving!
I really hope you'll join us for #CarveDecember! It's fun and easy and you end the month with an amazing collection of unique hand carved stamps, whether you carved every day or just a few days!
Are you planning to join in this year? Let me know!