Design Boot Camp Paintings Improved
November 25, 2020
One of the things that I have been focusing on in Design Boot Camp is teaching the students HOW to use the Elements and Principles of Design to improve their work. You may recall the two paintings that I shared two weeks ago? In class last week I demonstrated how to improve them, and here are the improved versions:
The transformation is radical, in my opinion. Each piece is deeper, more complex, more interesting, etc. Here's a peek at all of the details:
Some advice that I gave to my students that I will also pass on to you:
- Use time to help you in the process. Work on your art in intervals, allowing your brain to catch up with what's on the canvas (as opposed to your expectations).
- Keep going. Keep working on it. Keep adding things. Keep at it until you love it.
- Make bold choices. Don't get trapped in your original ideas. Let them go and make bold new choices.
- Say yes to all of your ideas. If they're bad, then you'll know. If they're good, then you'll know. The point is: you'll know. And knowledge is empowering.
- The Principles of Design are always there to help you make decisions. When you don't know how to fix your problem, turn to the Principles and you'll have your answer!
- Don't let fear paralyze you. You can stop fear by stopping focusing on the final result and focusing instead on the process. Fall in love with the process.
Thanks for stopping by!