Back in 2018, I took a class from Pat Pauly. I came home with yards and yards and yards of fabric that I printed over the five day class.
It's no secret that one of the keys to me being prolific is that I'm very fast when it comes to making things. I did so much printing that I had to buy more fabric half way through class!
Over the past few years I've pretty much been hoarding my pretty fabric. I did use it to make some shirts for myself...
...but that's pretty much been it. (BTW: It's the arms on the blue shirt. The body is a commercial fabric.)
Last week I decided it was time to stop the hoarding and use the fabric! I threw some of the fabric up on my design wall and just stared at it. And then I took my thought process to my instagram stories.
After I while, I noticed that one of the fabrics seemed to have a great deal of value range -- lots of dark and light areas.
I figured that maybe I could use just that one piece of fabric to make something cool. So I asked other people what they thought.
The overwhelming answer was: go for it! And so I did!
I made some striped sections and then wondered if I should bring in a contrasting fabric.
I tested out both a gelatin printed fabric (from my Year of Gelatin Printing class) and a stamped fabric (from a class I taught on block printing on fabric).
I actually really like both of these. But the more I stared at them, the more I thought about how cool it would be to make a quilt from just one single piece of fabric.
And so, I did.
I finished the quilt with a facing. You can watch this short video where I'm working through all the steps of facing the quilt:
I love how this quilt turned out! And it will be a part of my quilt guild's quilt show this year! If you're in the Boston area, the show is May 6 & 7.
I will be working the mini art quilt table on May 6 from 11am-1pm if you'd like to stop by and say, "Hi!"
Thanks for stopping by!