This is a re-post of a blog from October 14, 2020. It's two years old, but these are absolutely my ride-or-die go-to supplies still. Enjoy!
Here is a quick guide to some of my favorite art supplies. I limited myself to just a few choices in each category. My true "can't live withouts." You can find a much longer list HERE.
- Speedy Carve
- Speedball Carving Tools
- Permapaque Markers (for marking the block)
- Black Archival Ink Pad & Reinker
- Carve Stamp Play Book
Mixed Media Collage
- Liquitex Matte Medium
- Old Credit Card/Hotel Room Key
- Strathmore 400 Series Drawing Paper
- Detail Scissors
- I don't have a preference between Gelli Arts and Gel Press plates. Both work fine.
- Soft Rubber Brayer from Speedball
- Liquitex Basics paint
- Deli Paper
I recommend any model of the DX machines (like this one) with the AutoBlade. The AutoBlade makes a huge difference. Some accessories that I use all the time:
- Scanning Mat (you must buy the Scanning Mat for your type of machine, this link is for the DX mat)
- Metal Hook & Spatula
- Brother Brayer (for adhering paper/fabric/etc. to the mat) -- Using the brayer allows you to get away with using a less sticky mat.
- Universal Pen Holder -- it's not actually universal, but it allows you to put most pens in the machine.
- Hanging File Folder Cart in Legal Size for organizing all of my collage papers
- Raskog Cart for movable storage
- Clear Photo Boxes for storing all my hand carved stamps
- PTouch Embellish for labeling everything
I would say that my "must haves" change a bit over the years, but for the most part, these are the foundational items that I use almost every single day!
Thanks for stopping by!